If you’re following lots of health foodies on Instagram or Pinterest, you will probably have stumbled on the latest health food trend – the sweet potato toast. It’s so simple and obvious, it seems almost silly this wasn’t a “thing” sooner! So we asked Barbara from Les Petites Pestes, our resident food guru and inventor of all things wonderful and delicious from to try out this latest food hype and give it her own spin.
SWEET POTATO TOAST
Gluten free, vegan, paleo friendly
- Large Sweet Potato
- Toppings of Choice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean seeds or paste
- 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
1// Peel your sweet potato and slice it lenghtways into ‘toasts’ about 3/4 cm in thickness. If they are too thin they will go crunchy and might burn, if they are too thick they will be raw in the middle. The right thickness will give it this marshmallow-y taste!
2// Put into your toaster. Depending on your toaster, you might have to put it back in a couple of times, so keep an eye out until it’s golden and soft.
To serve, add some of your favourite toppings. This is such a versatile thing that can be eaten as breakfast, snack, dessert or even a side – so it works just as well with sweet and savoury toppings. Here are some of my favourite ideas:
- Grilled broccolini, almond butter drizzle, toasted almond flakes
- Smashed avocado with chilli spiked olive oil, pickled radishes, cucumber & lime juice
- Any nut butter with bananas (sprinkle some lavender on top!)
- Avocado, strawberries and a dollop of almond butter
- Toasted nuts and seeds on a creamy base like avocado, hummus or babaganoush
- Avocado and crumbled feta or haloumi
- Cashew butter and figs and maple syrup
- Egg and bacon
- Nutella and banana slices
- the list goes on and on…
- If you don’t want to eat a full sweet potato, put the remaining slices in a ziplock bag and pop in the fridge or freezer. When you want them, just throw them straight in the toaster, no defrosting needed (it will just take a bit longer to make)
- If your slices are too thick or your toaster perhaps not strong enough, pierce the slice with a fork a couple of times, pop in the microwave for 30 seconds and you’ll find they toast a lot quicker, all the way to the middle!
- No toaster? You can also just pop them under the grill for the same effect.
- Toast 2 slices and turn them into a sandwich with your favourite filling in the middle
As you can tell, this simply couldn’t be an easier food hack. Whether you’re simply out of bread, on a gluten free diet or just fancy something different, the sweet potato toast is our new favourite – and lazy – snack. Don’t take our word for it, try it!